Other Microsoft Closes Multiple Studios

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Username Style

Microsoft is reportedly closing several Bethesda and ZeniMax studios, including Arkane Austin and Tango Gameworks.

Earlier today, May 7, IGN reported that Microsoft is closing down both Arkane Austin, who most recently made Redfall, and Tango Gameworks, known most recently for Hi-Fi Rush. Both studios operated under the Bethesda umbrella, and IGN reports that the cuts are limited to the parent company.

"Arkane Austin – This studio will close with some members of the team joining other studios to work on projects across Bethesda," Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty reportedly says in an email to staff, as verified by IGN. "Arkane Austin has a history of making impactful and innovative games and it is a pedigree that everyone should be proud of. Redfall's previous update will be its last as we end all development on the game. The game and its servers will remain online for players to enjoy and we will provide make-good offers to players who purchased the Hero DLC."

"Tango Gameworks will also close. We are thankful for their contributions to Bethesda and players around the world. Hi-Fi Rush will continue to be available to players on the platforms it is today," Booty adds. The Xbox Game Studios head also reveals in the email that both Alpha Dog Studios and Roundhouse Games will also be closing.

The former developer was most recently responsible for Mighty Doom on mobile devices, and the mobile game will also be shutting down effective August 7. Roundhouse Games, meanwhile, will effectively be folded into Zenimax Online Studios and will continue working on The Elder Scrolls Online, as it has done over the past few years.

And this is why smaller studios being bought up by bigger ones will forever be a bad thing, because they can shut you down at the drop of a hat.

WOW really, you buy one of the best software studios out there and start layoffs and now studio closures? I sure don't get Microsoft's reasoning that's for sure.

P.S. Don't forget about the WOW companion app that they shut down as well.

Good thing Shinji Mikami left Tango, Probably the guy saw it coming.

You know there is some Sony PR person somewhere drooling over this as they are about to make the most out of this.

Plus I hear rumors the Perfect Dark game is now dead as well :squint:

But I'm not shocked, Microsoft dump a crap tone of money in the past year or two and now they got to make that up somehow, and can't wait for the games to come out. I think their gaming heads need to roll and be changed up.

It's becoming like what happened with Embracer.

Back